Jeremiah's Complaints

This blog tracks my problems with the way the universe is run.

Sunday, April 04, 2004

Continued from March 28

The pterodactyl man let out a scream. Then he stuck his large beak in the ground and crunched down a couple candy bars, in the wrapper.

"Excuse me," Linda finally said, "we're trying to get by."

The pterodactyl Man looked at her and let loose another shrill cry.

"Don't scream at me, we're both adults. Just because your angry at yourself doesn't mean you have to give me a rough time."

"I'm sorry," the pterodactyl Man said. He widened his big wings and flew up past the trees.

Linda looked at me and rolled her eyes, "Get used to it."

"I don't understand what just happened." I said as we continued through the forest, stepping on candy bars.

"Every place has them."

"What's that?"

"The pterodactyl Men."

"Are there any pterodactyl Women."

"Yes. They usually wear ugly blouses."

We walked for a while, occasionally hearing screaming and rustling above from the trees. I wasn't afraid because Linda seemed like she could handle them. Linda could handle any kind of trouble.

"Linda," I said, "Thank you so much for taking me through the forest like this. I have to ask you, why are you bothering with me?"

"I feel a connection with you because I feel we're both unhappy about the same things, but for me the island has given me a respite from the unhappiness. I want to make sure you know about this island."

"I'm just curious. I still want to go back. I don't want to give up on what I'm after. I hate my current routine, but I don't want my hatred to be another hurdle in what I'm going after."

"To be an actor?"

"An actor and writer."

"Then why are you following me?"

"I'm curious."

"You know," Linda said, "I haven't given up my dreams and it's not very nice for you to say so about me."

"Then why are you here?"

"Because it's nice and where I was before wasn't nice."

"It is nice here," I said. "Thanks for showing me around."

"We still have a little ways to the center. Let's stop here."

We were at a small watering hole surrounded by trees. Linda got some water and and I did too. Then we both fell asleep under a tree. I ate a candy bar before sleeping. The sun was relaxing under the trees. As I finished the candy bar and shut my eyes I felt like I was about to get some good rest. I heard talking in the forest before I fell asleep, but ignored it. I wish I hadn't.

When I woke up Linda was gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home